Friday, December 11, 2020

FINAL REFLECTION FOR WORLD LITERATURE 2020-2021

 This semester was unlike any other. My mind didn't change at all from the beginning of this course, just another boring English class like any other, listening and following the teacher's rules. But I was taken away when you said there are no boundaries, no pressure for this course. That we would be able to express ourselves better instead of just taking a sentence off a book and use that. I was excited for the first time in an English class. Of course this wasn't an excuse to snooze off, but rather less stress and pressure for work. I was excited from then on and wanting to just start on any assignments. If I remember correctly, the first assignment you assigned us was a Q&A of school for parents and us. Now I hate showing my face when it comes to family pictures or videos, but as well didn't want just a black pitch screen and you just listening to my voice. So I headed to the arts department and did an animatic. Pain was the simple word for this project but was worth it. For some time now I was actually proud of my work. Later when we started our Les Mis work, I didn't understand how to write a "First Impression". All I did was summarize the chapter and not give my thoughts or emotions until you gave an example on how to write one. Wish I would've known that earlier, since I'm so used to teachers just telling me to summarize what happened. Now I just want to rewrite my old impressions...but hey we all start to understand and dig those ideas for a future assignment. Which is what I'm going to start to do more in my future English classes, express my thoughts while at the same time following my teacher's instructions. To finish this essay off, I'll add 3 literary techniques and texts that made each other effective. Starting off with foreshadowing, in one of Les Mis titles called "Philosophy after Drinking" we obviously get an idea that someone who is drunk can start rambling and mixing up important subjects. Second is tone. The tone tends to reflect the narrator's empathy with the characters. When describing broader trends in politics and society, the tone reflects Hugo's outspoken views on social reform. Finally imagery. Hugo tends to describe the setting a lot, especially in Book 2 Ch 3. An example, "Madame Magloire returned. She brought a silver fork and spoon, which she placed on the table...went to get the two silver candlesticks from the chimney-piece in Monseigneur’s bed-chamber, and placed them, lighted, on the table" 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Journal Entries #8

December 14, 2020 Q. What do you do to make yourself feel better? Work out? An extra long shower? Makeup? A special outfit? Please explain. ...